Watermelon radish salad with golden beets and creamy lemon vinaigrette
This is only the second time I’ve had watermelon radishes, and I don’t know why I don’t keep them in stock! I ran across this one at Whole Foods along with the golden beet (which I had not only never tried but never heard of). When I sliced these two veggies open and tasted them I knew they would go together well. The beet, which looks a little bit like a sweet potato when you peel it, still has the earthy beet flavor but is less severe. It’s still sweet, though, and reminiscent of carrots and parsnips. The radish is sweeter than your usual radish, though still sharp. Both have a satisfying crunch and are really set off when paired with some greens and this creamy sweet lemon dressing.
For the salad (for two):
- About two cups finely chopped kale (or greens of your choice)
- 1/2 a watermelon radish, sliced into circles and the. Int’l halves (they are large, so save the other half for another recipe or just to snack on)
- 1/2 a golden beet, chopped (same as above, they’re pretty big so you may not want the whole thing unless you are serving a crowd)
- A few thin slices of red onion
Toss all of the ingredients in a bowl, then coat with about 1/3 of the dressing below. Save the rest of the dressing in the refrigerator, it will keep at least two weeks.
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons paleo Mayo (I use Sir Kensington’s)
- 3 tablespoons (or a bit more, to taste) local, raw honey. I use this kind.
- Crushed pepper, to taste
Mix all of the items in a 16 oz jar. It will be just about half full. Use an immersion blender (I have a neat little attachment just for this. This one is similar) to blend until creamy and a little frothy. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you could blend this in a regular blender or just shake vigorously with the jar lid on.
I also added a little bit of goat cheese crumbles to this, but that is optional!
Looks delicious, and so pretty! I made a lovely radish salad today as well, filled with these beauties!