Luxurious breakfast: Gluten free mascarpone muffins with dark chocolate
Something about Sunday morning just screams “muffins” around here. The kids always need a project and, well, we all love muffins. I’ve been craving something with mascarpone in it and there was a bag of dark chocolate chunks in the pantry calling my name, and so these muffins were born. Next time I try it I may add some orange zest and vanilla, but these were a nice and simple little morning treat (an espresso finishes it off nicely).
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (I used this kind). Make sure the blend you use has xantham gum.
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup organic, coarse sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 container or 4 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons butter (grassfed always!)
- 1/2 cup applesauce (I used one I made myself)
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
Directions: mix all dry ingredients together except for the chocolate. Mix the wet ingredients together, but let the mixture stay lumpy (this keeps the muffins moist). Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones. The mixture will be thick. Add the chocolate chunks, then divide the mixture into a 12-cup muffin tin. Sprinkle some more of the coarse sugar on top of each muffin. Bake at 350 for 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into a muffin comes out clean.